Sunday, September 21, 2014

Boys are Poopy

Boys are poopy.  I tell my girls that all the time.  I've been saying it to my oldest daughter who's now in college since the day she was born.  Why am I blogging about this today?  Well in the wake of the Jameis Winston scandal and having a daughter in college myself I have been thinking.

What he yelled in the student union doesn't surprise me.  Yes, you read that right.  These young boys (he's not a man, sorry) think it's cool to degrade women.  Why wouldn't they?  Have you watched a music video in the last 20 years? Have you read random young girl's tweets?  They act as if their body and their self respect don't really mean anything.  Why is that?  Where did we go wrong?  I personally don't know, but I think we do have a lot of things we can change to maybe make the next generation of young women and men think before they speak, act, or do.

First off, it's not cute to have a boyfriend.  So when little Billy comes home and says "I like this girl Sally in my class" don't think "awe, isn't that sweet".  No it's not.  I want to know what you did in math class, not about Sally on the playground in the cute flower dress.  Too harsh?  Don't care.  When we get all excited because they asked a girl to the middle school dance, not cute either.  Go to that dance with a group of girlfriends or guy friends and dance and eat pizza.  Go home and leave it at "man I wish they would stop letting Mr. Smith, the Biology teacher DJ our dances".  When they go to high school and want that serious boyfriend or girlfriend don't encourage that AT ALL.  Encourage taking dual enrollment classes or AP classes.  If all else fails every day as they are getting ready for school write on their bathroom mirror with shaving cream "BOYS ARE POOPY, HAVE A GOOD DAY"

So I know what you are thinking how in the world do we prevent this?  Well first off spying.  Spying always works.  Go through your kids book bags.  Read their notes (yes mom I said that).  Read their text.  You think your kid deserves privacy?  You get privacy when you pay that monthly bill and it's in your name.  Have all their passwords to their online social media accounts.  If their friends "friend" you, accept!  Nothing better than knowing what kind of friends your kids hang out with.  I'll never forget my oldest daughter's freshman year of high school and she asked to go to a party on Homecoming.  I instantly said "she's gonna have beer there and it's at a hotel".  My daughter's jaw dropped. She knew then "I'm no amateur parent".  I caught these parties a couple other times that year.  Yes kids are that dumb to post this stuff.  Now don't get my wrong did my daughter get away with things?  I'm sure, I'm sure she's still doing things that would make me cringe.  Did I at that age?  Yep!  Do I regret them?  HELL YES!

Now I have a son I need to raise.  That son will be taught you don't hit your sisters.  You don't disrespect your mother or any girl for that matter.  No she's not your girlfriend, you don't have a girlfriend.  Will I like his wife?  I doubt it.  In fact I feel pretty sorry for anyone that dates him (when he's in his 30s) because she will get the third degree and if she's not raised to respect herself I will discourage her in his life and mine!  Open doors for girls and women.  Help someone in trouble.  All those things that our dads and grandfathers did with no thought.  Bring back chivalry with our boys.  If our young men show women they are to be honored, maybe they will honor themselves.
So for all those young men and women at Florida State who were taught how to respect themselves I apologize.  I apologize for the name that Jameis is giving your school, your football team, your generation.  Unfortunately there are a lot of Jameis Winston's out there.  Those of us raising the next generation have a duty to stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment